Sunday, April 14, 2013

A New Start..

Hello!

Welcome to Mel-iorism, my new blog dedicated to sharing my journey to becoming a better me.  I plan to share some of my goals and my progress in accomplishing them.


My main goal at the moment is to BE HAPPIER.  I think this will always be a worthwhile goal.  At the moment it is particularly worthwhile, as earlier this year I was diagnosed with Post-Natal Depression (PND), so being happier will be challenging and is especially important for me at the moment.  The last year (or so) has been very difficult, I have experienced some of the lowest lows I have ever had to deal with.  It took me a long time to actually do anything about my PND because my depressive episodes did not occur everyday, in fact some days were good and I felt like I could handle it all myself.  I thought perhaps, I was experiencing just the normal ups and downs everyone experiences.  I also felt embarrassed about needing some help, especially after studying Psychology myself.   I also felt guilty about feeling so down when I had such a beautiful baby.   Additionally, I had some reservations about some of the treatments out there, especially the drugs with their long lists of potential side effects.  I eventually got to the point where I was not functioning well and I had to get help, I realised PND is just an illness and not something to feel guilty or embarrassed about.  I wouldn't have so many reservations about getting help if I had a physical illness over a mental one.


I have started making some progress by finally seeking help and getting some treatment.  Speaking out and seeking help has made a huge difference to my wellbeing.


As part of my Goal to BE HAPPIER, I have set several other goals:


  • Improve my relationships: especially with my Husband and family, but also with friends making a special effort to be more social.  I want to have more date nights with the hubby, more quality time with my son and invite friends over more often.  I really enjoy entertaining and cooking for other people and would love to do it more!
  • Increase my spirituality: my relationship with God is something that has really made a huge difference in my life and has been an enjoyable aspect of my life.  After having a baby, I momentarily lost motivation to make time to do the necessary things to improve and maintain my relationship.  I want to put in the effort and get back what I have been missing and then some.
  • Be healthier: I want to eat more healthily, become fitter and as a result lose weight.  I also want to improve my running and eventually run some running races!  I have started making some good progress with these goals.  Since the beginning of the 2013, I have lost approximately 7kgs to date.  I have done this by primarily eating better and exercising more.  I have more recently put in place a better eating plan and a structured exercise regime, with the help of my personal trainer.
  • Kick start my career: I want to start using my degree in Law in my employment.  At this stage, I think I want a legal position within government.  I am currently working for government, which is a start, but its not the type of position I am after, and my role is not permanent at the moment.  I have started applying for different graduate roles and other permanent roles.  So far, I have had an interview and gotten to the first stage of the graduate programs.  However, the job search is still on.
  • Read more: I want to read more books for enjoyment.  Recently, I have read the Harry Potter series and a couple of other books.  I really enjoy reading, its something I don't do enough!  I am currently reading 'Eat, Pray, Love', so far its been really good.
I'll keep you posted on my progress!
Wish me luck,
Melanie

1 comment: